Monday 30 January 2012

Bacon (Part1)

Everything is better with bacon.  (Great article on real bacon here.)  I said that a few days ago and can't get it out of my mind.  On that morning, I had made a homemade version of a McGriddle sandwich.  I did not make maple syrup crystals but I did put some table syrup in the pancake batter, which I will do again.  I did, however, discover my new go-to recipe for light, fluffy, sweet pancakes that were a dream to work with and eat.
Here is my new pancake recipe:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 egg
¼ cup milk (or more to desired consistency)
¼ cup table syrup (I did not use real maple, I don't know why but this was great)
- In a large bowl, sift dry ingredients.  In a medium bowl, mix wet ingredieants.  Pour wet over dry and mix a bit.  Leave medium sized lumps. 
- Drop by ½ cup measure onto hot pan (a water drop should bounce when you drop it on)(I heat my pan to a 4.5 on my stovetop with a scale of 10).  Flip when bubbles cover the top and edges are getting dry.  Flip only once, cook to cooked in the centre.  Eat immediately, or keep hot in a hot oven, or freeze for a toaster treat later!
Note: I usually add grains and things to my pancakes, but this is a fun, "bubble gum" version.  I substitute up to half the flour with a combination of flax meal, wheat germ, oat bran or oats.  Go crazy and find your own happy.  I guess you could sub some applesauce for some oil too.
Directions for a breakfast sandwich:
lay 1 piece bacon (or two, whole or crumbled in a neat pile) on your frying pan
cover with about ¼ cup pancake batter and cook as if it were just an innocent pancake
make a second pancake, with or without bacon
keep pancakes hot
fry an egg (I love to use bacon fat for this)
Now the fun part, on your favourite plate lay 1 pancake (bacon to the inside perhaps), top with a slice of processed cheese (or not, my kids did not like this with processed cheese), tuck the egg on there, top with a second pancake and voilà, a breakfast of champions!  You can also add sausage patty in there if you want to, I haven't done that.

Here's the money shot, batter smothering bacon:


And here's my sandwich:
YUMMY!

This looks daring and I haven't tried it, just thought I'd share chocolate bacon cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment