Thursday 16 February 2012

Supper tonight? BURGERS!

Why not make hamburgers for supper tonight?  Here is a great recipe I adapted from a Canadian Living recipe for Best Burger that I found in my cookbook by them called Make It Tonight.  Great collection of recipes broken down in sections based on how long from idea to plate, fewest ingredients, in one pot, slow cooker, to freeze, BBQ, for company and a few other sections.  I recommend it as a good, little starter cookbook.


I have an aunt that makes all her bread products, she has left a comment in the Bread post.  I have, too, made hamburger buns that got rave reviews.

I like a messy burger.  Not a neat and tidy "date" burger, but rather one that drips and oozes down my fingers and onto my plate (if I'm lucky it'll miss my shirt).  I top mine with whatever I can find: mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish, barbeque sauce, lettuce, tomato, red onion and BACON.  Many people like cheese on them too, but not me.


Here's a picture of my burger, fully loaded; it was so good!

This burger rivals a burger at my local joint, the Mic Mac Bar and Grill.  They serve great food, particularly steaks (get the fried onions) and french fries.  I love the crispy bits of fries, truly love.  (I think my priorities are skewed just a bit...)

Rana's Best Burger (it's okay if you call it that, I don't mind)
adapted from Canadian Living
1 egg
2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 small onion, grated or food processor'ed
1 clove garlic, minced, pressed or food processor'ed
1/2 tsp each S&P (I used kosher salt)
1 lb ground beef, pork, or turkey
- mix water and egg, add all remaining ingredients.  Mix by hand, with your hands or in your stand mixer.  Mix well, a few minutes.
- shape into patties and grill right away, refrigerate up to 24 hours, or freeze up to 1 month well-wrapped.
- cook to internal temperature of 160F, about 15 minutes (turn once during cooking) (mine were thin patties and only needed 8 minutes, just don't leave them alone on the BBQ)

I double and triple this recipe and cook some to eat now, some get cooked and frozen for quick lunches and some patties are frozen raw for later.  We BBQ year-round at our house, MIAM!

What, if anything, do you add to your beef when you make hamburgers?  What do you love to put on your burger?  What do you miss most about summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment