Saturday 28 April 2012

Microwave Brownie in a Mug (single serving)

Midnight snack tonight.

Not too much to look at, but you can see the ooey, gooey centre just slightly undercooked.
Yes, please!

Microwave Brownie in a Mug
adapted from Chow
3 Tbsp granulated sugar, slightly rounded
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter, melted
3 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp vanilla
A dash of salt
1 tsp Just Us! Espresso Blend ground coffee (optional, but highly recommended)
- In a small bowl or mug, mix sugar, cocoa and flour well.
- In a large mug (or small bowl), melt butter.  Add water, salt, vanilla and coffee, if using. Whisk.
- Add dry ingredients, whisk well.  Clean off edges of the mug with your clean finger, lick finger.
- Microwave for 60-75 seconds: 60 seconds for a molten bottom, 75 for uniformly done.

NOte on the coffee: you can use 3 Tbsp strong, brewed coffee (hot or cold) (and omit the 3 Tbsp water) to avoid the grits of coffee grinds in your cake, but I rather like the bits in my cake.

I cooked it in the microwave for 60 seconds.  (one measuring spoon and one button on my microwave!)

Perfection when served as is.

Then again, you could stick a small chunk of dark chocolate in the centre while hot, top with ice cream, whipped cream, Newfie cream (Carnation canned cream, like clotted cream I think), crème douce (whipping cream, heavy cream), or dust with icing sugar, or a ganache (nah, that's just too rich).

You can double (or more) this recipe. Then you can cook two at one time (I recommend two bowls) or use half now and store half in the cupboard for later... like later tonight when you're up with your toddler AGAIN and it only takes one beep of the microwave to cook it - One Minute button, thank you. Um, combine the dry ingredients and store those, then add the wet when you NEED CAKE FAST. I know what I'm talking about here!

EDIT: I have made it with cow's milk, soy milk, Earth Balance and applesauce in place of the melted butter. You take your pick.

If you have time to think and plan ahead, make a pan of these luscious brownies, they freeze really well and you can ship them across the country (though this costs a small fortune as they are dense and heavy).


SMALLER SERVING
It has come to my attention that the full recipe above is rich (yes, you're welcome) but perhaps too much for 1 person in one sitting.  Here is the math worked out for 2/3 of the cake above:
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp flour
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp butter, melted (or applesauce or Earth Balance, melted)
2 Tbsp water (or brewed coffee and omit coffee granules)
1/8 tsp vanilla
dash salt
2/3 tsp coffee granules
- mix dry
- melt butter in cereal bowl, add water, vanilla, salt and coffee (if using).
- add dry, mix well
- microwave 50 seconds to 1 minute


Did you share your brownie?  You don't have to, you know...
Did you add anything to it? 

Did you top it with something?

7 comments:

  1. Chocolate heaven in a mug! I made it without the coffee because I don't like coffee and it was divine. Very rich and perfect for when you need chocolate NOW and something of substance. I know it's a serving for one, but I wouldn't be able to eat a whole serving of this again; good to share with a friend. Added vanilla ice cream for the last bit. Mmmm. Zapped for 75 seconds and came out perfect. Will be added to my recipe box and shared with fellow chocolate lovers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello there Aisy! Glad you enjoyed it! I'm thinking of adding an edit and put the measurements for a three-quarter serving. You're not the first to say it was a bit too much. Pass the love around! Thanks for visiting and come back now, ya hear?

      Delete
    2. Aisy, I have added a Smaller Serving which is 2/3 of the full recipe. I hope this satisfies without going overboard.

      Delete
  2. I made this as my splurge while relaxing last night. I topped it with the Reese Pieces Frosting you mentioned (I added some reese peanut butter chips too!) My relaxation was cut short....I managed to enjoy the brownie while one of the twins slept on my chest (you should see the chocolate on her sleeper!!)Either way it was YUMMY! Thanks for the recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Angela? Hope the twin didn't mind much.

      Delete
  3. Just made this!! I will do the smaller serving next time and put some pb in there, somewhere. Doesn't look pretty but man, it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! It is bad, eh?! The smaller serving is more one-eater friendly, but slightly less simple to measure. It doesn't have to look pretty, you're going to eat it right away anyhow!

      Delete