Thursday 4 October 2012

Pancake muffins, the night before

My day doesn't feel officially over until I've started getting ready for tomorrow and my sink shines.  Call it OCD, a neat freak, perfectionism or just plain ol' crazy, but it's true.  I like to know what is for breakfast and have it started if possible, coffee maker ready to go, lunch bags set out with stuff in them and the stuff from the fridge for lunches is just waiting.

Last night, I prepped some pancake muffins.  Here is where I got my inspiration, though I did not follow the recipe.

It worked beautifully.  They were even better cold at snack time.

Last night, I measured the dry ingredients and covered the bowl with a plate and left it on the counter.  I measured the wet ingredients into a big mason jar (gosh, I do so love my mason jars - so much so that my next fun thing to do for myself is to build a terrarium in one) and popped it into the fridge.  In the morning, I turned on the oven, shook up the wet ingredients (remember this jingle?), added them to the bowl of dry ingredients, mixed lightly and away we go!  Breakfast for a crowd in 15 minutes!  HA!

Ingredients

I also sprinkled half of what I made with cinnamon sugar and dropped sliced bananas on a quarter and left a quarter plain for experimentation purposes.  The cinnamon sugar was a big hit!  Next time I'll do the whole thing.

I made 12 muffins and poured the remaining batter into two 9" square pans.  One of those pans was silicone and I highly recommend this.  I haven't used this pan yet, but now I have a regular use for it!

So, here is a recipe for pancakes that I did not follow either, even though they are great I just didn't think of this recipe.  I used my Mum's Best Pancake recipe which is lower in fat than that other recipe.

It is important when making pancakes, as well as muffins or quick breads, to not overmix your wet and dry ingredients together.  Just really wet the dry ingredients and stop.  There will be little lumps of dry ingredients but that is okay, do not panic.  Step away from the bowl and leave it rest for a few minutes.  Then approach when ready to dish it out onto your hot pan or griddle.  No more sneaky stirring.  None.  If you must add in stuff, like blueberries or chocolate chips, add them to the pancake immediately after it has been poured onto the hot pan, not to the bowl.  I don't know why, that's just how my Mum did it.  So you will too.

Dry and wet

Mum's Best Pancake
2 c flour (I use 1 c whole wheat and 1 c all-purpose)
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp baking powder (or 5 tsp = same thing)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
2 c milk
2 Tbsp oil (or melted butter, or coconut oil)
2 eggs
- mix dry
- mix wet
- combine very little, leave lumps

FOR PANCAKE MUFFINS
- pour 1/4 cup batter into greased muffin tin
- sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, a few berries, banana slices or chocolate chips
- bake in oven at 350 for about 14 minutes
- let cool several minutes until you can handle them, then serve with a smile
* they're pretty plain so have syrup or jam or PB & brown sugar at the ready
FOR "CAKE"
- pour this batter into one or two greased 9" square pans - only enough to barely cover the bottom of the pan
- bake in oven at 350 for about 25 minutes
- serve in wedges or cut out with cookie cutters depending on the season or holiday

This was a great way to get pancakes on the table for my whole family and not stand over the stove for half an hour cooking up one pancake at a time.  I will DO IT AGAIN! 

As previously stated, it was great for snack too!  Breakfast and snack with one set of dishes to clean!  BONUS!

 

Beautiful mason jar with wet ingredients ready for the morning.
How do you plan breakfast?  What are your mornings like?  How do you manage them?  Are you the manager?

1 comment:

  1. Great idea Rana....I like combining the wet in a jar and refrigerating it. Never thought of muffin pancakes but it makes sense. Especially for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete